Sunday, March 30, 2014

Another Question Answered- How to get into Casting

In the third part of my series of blogs were I answer a question you have sent in, I will address how to get into casting.

Casting is not a job you can go to school for- if you google Casting Schools or Casting Courses, you will find workshops for casting metal and courses for improving your ability to make casts for broken bones. 
Casting is a business that you have to start at the bottom and work your way up, and it's very competitive.
Many people start as interns at a casting directors office. To young professionals who are ambitious and eager to grow, this means long hours and no pay. When I interned at a commercial casting office almost every week I worked more than the two days I was scheduled for, and on busy days with last minute jobs I worked from 9am until the job was done. Sometimes that was 10pm. The office didn't even buy me lunch. Halfway through my second semester they hired me on my first job, and my career as a PAID casting professional began. 

How do you find internships?
The best online resources I have listed below-
www.entertainmentcareers.net
www.mandy.com
Writing to casting office you want to work with an offering to intern is also a good way to reach out.

How long does the commitment usually last?
A few months, or a college term. Many offices offer college credit for the internship.

I am an aspiring actor, will it help me get into the business?
Working at a casting office will give you a lot of valuable insight into the business. You experience the full spectrum of the audition process from how talent is selected and why, to the audition itself, to booking the project. Seeing other actors work, the good and the bad, will benefit an aspiring actor greatly. It differs from casting office to office, but you may also get the opportunity to audition for roles you are suitable for.
Be honest with the casting office. Some offices will not want an intern that is an actor because they want to groom someone that could be employed at the office at the end of the internship. Some casting offices feel uncomfortable taking on interns that are actors, and some offices prefer it. 

How do you choose what internships to apply for?
RESEARCH. There are offices that specialize in different areas of this business, from Film and TV to theater only, to commercial casting, to reality only. You get the idea. Once you start on one track and get experience in that area, it may be difficult to change: every area of casting works very differently.

You get the internship- what next?
The biggest mistake I have seen made in internships is the mindset "I'm not getting paid, it's not a job to me." If you hope to make casting your career, TAKE IT SERIOUSLY! Reputation is everything in this business. Be on time, dress professionally, act professionally, bring ideas to the project. You will have to work late, work extra hours, show extra interest.

A great resource for all things casting is the Casting Society of America. www.castingsociety.com
 


No comments:

Post a Comment