Saturday, March 8, 2014

A Simple Guide to where to find Casting notices and how to use them to your advantage!

In the second part of this series, I am addressing another question from the many I received from actors that read my blog or follow my casting Facebook page.


There are so many casting websites. Which do you feel are the most beneficial for an actor to sign up for? There are some like Casting Networks and Cast It Talent that suggest greater exposure to industry.


The simple answer is- it depends on what types of projects.
I don’t think it’s a bad thing to be on all of these sites, if there is a fee, and you a working actor, these sites should be tax deductible. (check with a tax professional to ensure you qualify) 

To fully utilize these sites have full, updated resumes on each of these databases. Often when casting something with a niche skill I will use my advanced search tool and look up actors that list that skill. For example, for a commercial with cheerleaders, I would love up my advanced search option for cheerleading, dancers and/or gymnasts. If you have a reel on your resume, I am likely to look it up to see your work if I am unfamiliar with your resume credits. For casting the musical “Hairspray” I will search for girls age range 18-25, height 5 foot to 5 foot 4, weight 160 lbs+ and look for the musical actors in the bunch. You get the idea- updated, accurate information is important!


I recommend the following websites and have highlighted how I have used them, and how I see the industry using these sites.


Backstage (online and paper): The biggest nationwide site for castings. Theater both union and non-union, independent TV and Film (both union and non-union), cruises, music videos, extras.


Actors Access: a little bit of everything.  It’s the sister website to Breakdown Services, which all casting directors and agents use to release projects to talent agents and managers. Commercial, print, extras, theater, television, web series, new media, music videos. Union and non-union projects.


Casting Networks: mostly commercial, print, music videos and extras castings. Testimonial commercials (i.e. reality style projects) Union and non-union.


Mandy.com: Independent projects of all mediums. Great resource for production team.


nycastings.com: Commercial/print projects, independent film, web, music videos. non-union more likely than union.


Cast It Talent:  A lot of TV and film projects use this medium. Almost exclusively union projects.


Playbill.com: Theater projects both union and non-union, internships and production teams for theater.

No comments:

Post a Comment