Saturday, January 18, 2014

Showcase Etiquette part 1

Years ago, When I first graduated from acting school I paid to be in an acting showcase.
I was fresh from conservatory and a director I had worked with was the organizer, so I assumed it was good.  Part of the package was working on the scene with the director for a certain amount of hours and 3 performances. It was not cheap to be in it!! Overall I enjoyed the experience, and got some good feedback from the scene I had selected, but ultimately I didn't get what I wanted from it- auditions or work! This was not the showcase nor was it the director I worked with; I just had different expectations from the showcase than what it would really be able to deliver.

In this two part column I will discuss the mistakes I made, and how to avoid them, and how to make the most out of any showcase you are in.


First off, learn from my mistakes! I made them, so you don't have to!

Mistake 1) This showcase did not guarantee an audience. 
This would not be a mistake if you have director friends or agent contacts that have been interested in seeing your work. A showcase could be a great platform to show them your talent. However, if the showcase does not offer an audience of professionals, and you are new to the business or just out of school, it may not be worth it. 
Lastly, If the showcase names the agents or casting directors that attend, do your research! How do you want to meet/impress, and why?

Mistake 2) The scene was good, but I've been prouder of other monologues or scenes. Thinking honestly, I read too old for the character I was playing.
If you are in a showcase you want to do the best scene or monologue possible for you. Pick a scene that is suitable for your age and type. I hear you- how boring! I can play any character, I am a talented actor, who will work to get the scene right! That might be so, but directors and casting directors want to see you play something they can realistically see you being cast as.

Mistake 3) I didn't follow up with the contacts that came. 
I should have written a thank you note to everyone who attended. I should have followed up later in the year when I was working on a show and invited them to see it. Networking is key in this business and contacts are important. You have to stay in Contact!



Next week I will further discuss showcase etiquette. When do casting directors and agents attend showcases? Which ones attract agents/directors and why? How to get an industry professional interested in your showcase and what they are expecting.

No comments:

Post a Comment